Thursday 7 June 2012

Make Good Art

Hello fellow people.

Here is an amazing speech by Neil Gaiman (author extraordinaire) as he addresses the class of 2012 at University of the Arts. I don't expect you to watch it straight away, because, in this day and age of short attention spans, my blog probably wins in the competition of the least-time-it-will-take-out-of-your-day. But seriously, one of these days any one who calls themselves an artist or art lover should watch it.


The moment I decided I would watch this was the most absolute perfect moment in my life for it. Having graduated university with a music degree, moved to Melbourne and 'gotten a real job', I couldn't help but feel lost. What am I doing, working 8.30-5 Monday to Friday, wrecking my wrists typing at a computer all day, then I come home too sore to play drums? I came to Melbourne to make music and make a little money out of it. I was not doing as much of this as I would have liked. As Drew pointed out, not much point in complaining, we've only been here 2 and a half months and had our gear just under 3 weeks. Yet every day that I don't spend playing music feels like a day wasted. It was easy to be nonchalant about it all whilst at uni, because it all seemed so distant. I had no idea what I would do. Now I am here, it's pretty freaky.

So I watched Neil Gaiman's speech, after hearing about it for a couple of weeks on Twitter. Needless to say, I was rather inspired. His words 'Make Good Art' are probably the best words I've heard someone say  in a while. 'Cat explodes? Make Good Art'. That was the kick in the arse I really needed to actually stop worrying and start doing it. We had the best band practice last night. I was so excited about everything. Thanks Neil :)

So we've been practicing. Our first few practices were fairly shoddy, but this could be blamed on a number on things. We live on the 2nd floor of an apartment building, so we cannot be loud (for the sake of our age challenged neighbours). So (now that I have an amazingly hip and cool electronic drum kit) we all plug into Drews recording interface and run everything through Logic, then out through headphones. This is pretty cool for a free/quiet way to practice. However, we can't work out how to get mono sends, so we all only have sound going through one side of the headphones. Awkward.

On Saturday we have a 5 hour rehearsal booked at a rehearsal space in Brunswick. They hire gear so we don't have to lug drums over there. That's nice. I'm really looking forward to it, since it'll be the first time I've played a real proper kit since February. I wonder what that will be like. Hopefully fun.

I'll think I'm all:


But I'll really be like:



Exciting time in Honeybone's young life. We recently turned 3 years old (an event I meant to celebrate with a blog entry, but I neglected my post. Soz), and we've got two gigs lined up for the next couple of months. The first is on 19th June at Revolver in Prahran. It is called Melbourne Fresh Showcase, and is similar to a battle of the bands scenario. We have tickets to sell to that, email me rachel@honeybonemusic.com if you want to come support us, that would be so rad.

The second one is a similar deal in the Gershwin Room at the Espy on Sunday August 12th. We also have tickets to sell to that, etc. Email me if you want, that would be rad :)

I can't wait to get back into playing and gigging again. I feel a bit like a 'square' working the typical office job. But I'm using that money I earn to pay for rehearsal spaces, band vans and a new tattoo so I doubt I'm really your typical office girl on the inside. I don't mind it so much, as I can listen to my ipod whilst working, and when it takes an entire album to get to work, and an entire album to get home again, you can bet I'm getting some sweet listening done.

So my new motto is 'make good art'. Or, at the moment, 'make art'. I always seem to forget that for every fucking kick ass song, theres probably 20 or so crap ones. You need to wade through the shit, pay your dues and learn from your mistakes. This is what I've learned from ol' Neil, and it's something we all need to remember.

Make Good Fucking Art EVERYONE

Ok guys?
PS.

With my ipod on shuffle, here's what I listened to whilst writing this blog:

Amanda Palmer: Do It With A RockStar
Amanda Palmer: Want It Back
Katy Perry: California Gurls feat. Snoop Dog (oh yeah)
Shihad: Bullitproof
Jack White: Sixteen Saltines
Princess Chelsea: Goodnight Little Robot Child
Queen: Crazy Little Thing Called Love
White Stripes: Little Ghost
Jeff Buckley: Lover, You Should Have Come Over
White Stripes: Little Room
Led Zeppelin: Since I've Been Loving You
David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust
Shihad: Pacifier


I think my next blog is going to be a list of whatever comes up on my ipod whilst on shuffle. That'll be good for a laugh.

xxx

3 comments:

  1. Yo good blog! Im feeling a bit the same way, having finished uni with all my dreams and ambitiou and then stuck shift working, in an admittedly not that shite job but still far away from the stuff I really want to do...

    I think good art isnt a very easy thing to achieve. Making art isnt so hard, but making it good... ..hmm.

    I think your blog gave me a bit more motivation though. Good stuff, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. I love how you are an office girl/rocker. You are like Hannah Montana! Except much more cool. I'm sorry for comparing you to Miley. Anyway. Looking forward to more posts! Go Rachel! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw cheers guys! Meant to reply to your comments a while ago but you know, life.

    Love xxx

    ReplyDelete