Thursday 21 June 2012

The First Australian Gig

Our first gig (not counting the Open Mic performance) in Melbourne was on Tuesday 19th June 2012. This coincided with the biggest earthquake in Victoria in 109 years.

Oh, and it was during OUR FUCKING SET! 

Seriously. Passes to the Cool Kids Club can be handed out now, thanks.

We didn't feel anything, and our mates didn't either, but the judge man did and decided to hop onto the stage after our last song and proclaim it to be the most awesome thing he has experienced, and allude to the fact that Honeybone's rock 'n' roll manner caused said quake.

I thought he just really dug our tunes, but then I checked facebook and yes, there was a quake.

This came up on my mate Ashleigh's facebook feed after about 5 minutes
So that's a pretty cool story. Although that's the whole story, so it's a short one. But a classic nonetheless.

THE GIG:

(Chur to Ashleigh Dunn for photos)

Stance


We played at 'Melbourne Fresh Showcase' at Revolver Upstairs in Prahran, Melbourne. It was a hell of a mish getting there, as we had to tram then train then change trains, whilst carrying gear and during rush hour. FUN. We had our mates Ash and Paul to help (who were total troopers cause both had worked all day and Ash was a bit under the weather), I don't know what we would have done without them. They're full on Cool Kids.

We played for 20 minutes. Our set was:

Can't Feel Your Love
Don't Need You
Edge of the Sun
Outta Time

You may or may not know these tunes as none of them are on our EP. We gave away about 10 EPS after our set, Aussies seem to like free stuff. If you would like an EP, please email me at rachel@honeybonemusic.com and we'll suss out some sort of deal.

Highlights:

- Fellow Otago Uni ex-pats Oli and BB headbanging raucously whilst all the young Aussies got out their smart phones and videoed them, as if they'd never seen anyone mosh at a gig. Apparantly headbanging is not something often done at Melbourne gigs.

Headless Headbangers Oli and BB

- Being able to PLAY REAL DRUMS. My electronic kit is beginning to get tiresome. I was terrified I'd screw up the start of Outta Time since my electronic kit won't let me play snare rolls that fast (rubber is not the same as a real snare in terms of rebound)

-IT WAS A REAL GIG. I could hear myself, and everything else! This is a rare event, but I had a huge foldback speaker next to me and the sound guy was one of those awesome ones who actually knew what he was doing. Kudos to you, my good man.

Drew Glows

I would let you in on the lowlights (is that a word?) but I cannot think of anything. All the other bands that played were pretty good, or on their way to being pretty good (I think we were the oldest band there in terms of age, felt kinda like Rockquest). The organisers were great and everything ran to schedule. Awesome.

We got through to the next round, which is great. I"ll let ya'll know the deets for that one when we hear.

In other news, we're playing with The New Savages on Sunday 1st July (not this Sunday but next week's Sunday) at The Tote. We're on around 7.30 (methinks), entry is $8. You can find out all you need to know here: https://www.facebook.com/events/344258718978219/

Follow us on Twitter: @Honeybone_ (since Facebook is going to charge us if we want our 700 odd fans on our page to see our posts, pssshhh dumb).

My Twitter is @raq_hell. I think I'm pretty cool, so you guys could maybe follow me? maybs? If you want?

love yas 

xxxxx


1 comment:

  1. Saw you at revolver and you guys blew me and my partner away. She has been leading a band for 26 years and was very impressed! Keep it going and I hope to catch another gig.

    ReplyDelete