Sunday 22 December 2013

Happy Holidays from Honeybone

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

My Mum's Christmas tree. She rules.


This year has been full of surprises, twists, turns and greatness. Our second year in Melbourne has been absolutely fantastic, and I thought what better way to round up the year than with a End of Year blog, especially since my last one was so long ago.

Of course, the most impressive thing we have done this year is finish the album, Talk Back Baby, which was a labour of love, most of the time. I for one had many moments where I turned into a three year old and whinged 'It's too haaaaard I don't waaant toooo'. Luckily for me my two awesome band mates are not as babyish and sorted me out. And we did it, it's done and released. I am so proud of it, my first ever full length album that I have released, and even if not many people hear it or give a shit, I know that I have done something to leave my mark on the world. The music will carry on after I'm gone, even if I have to make my grandkids play it to their friends (Jeez Grandma, this is old fogey crap).

Other fun things have happened this year. We moved to Coburg, and discovered a delightful little sandwich place called 'Tasty Sub'. All the sandwiches/wraps are $4, and they are awesome. And they're open like SUPER early. Bonus. More of our cool mates from NZ moved to Melbourne, and now we've got our own wee posse of people to come to shows and act like they're impressed. It works I tell you. Hype is everything. Fake it til you make it.

Drew started working at Cranbourne Music this year and has now started doing guitar and pedal repairs. He's moving on up in the world. I am still at my office job, and Peter is still at Daiso, confusing all the customers because he's not Japanese.

Probably the second coolest thing that happened this year was the Amanda Palmer House Party that happened at the 'Bone house back in September, and Amanda telling Dave Grohl about our band. I will probably never get over how awesome that weekend was, even if Mr. Grohl hears about twenty bands per day from various people, and if he never even checks us out, I will still be happy because he (and AFP) knows Honeybone exists. And let's face it, with a band name like that, we're kind of hard to remember.

Lately we've been putting our noses to the grindstone learning covers for Drew's sister's wedding in February. We are the wedding band, so we get to play songs like 'Why Does Love Do This To Me', 'Be Mine' and 'April Sun In Cuba'. Classic Kiwi stuff. What's amazing is how 'Why Does Love' is so well known and loved in New Zealand, and nobody knows it in Australia. I keep getting caught out by things like that over here, Australia and New Zealand seem so similar, and yet there's all these tiny differences in culture and language. You forget most people don't know what 'chur' or 'sweet as' means. Anyway, I digress. We haven't been practicing much of our own stuff, but don't you fret, we're not going anywhere and we're coming for YOU in 2014.

2014 is already panning out to be a rad year. We're going on our first ever official tour, playing Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, Oamaru, Melbourne, maybe even Hobart and Sydney. Who knows what will happen. But I know if 2014 is anything like this year, it'll be awesome.

Keep on keeping on kids. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, from all of us here at Honeybone.
Thanks for all the support, and we'll see you in 2014.

Momo especially hopes you have a wonderful Christmas


love
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment