Monday 20 June 2011

Ramble Like Vince Vaughn

So I hear Vince Vaughn has several mean rambles in 'Wedding Crashers'. Drew recently played a drinking game that involved drinking whenever he rambled (among other things), and got rather drunk. I wish I was there, because it sounded like a fun time. However twas not to be, as I was in Christchurch. Earthquake City, and all that.
Poor bastards. The earthquakes that happened whilst I was up there freaked me out, but those ol' cantabs didn't even notice them. Amazing.

Anway

As usual I was having trouble coming up with a 'subject' so I thought I'd jut write and see where the blog took me. A 'ramble', if you will. There are a few things I would like to tell you about, and I'm going to, and you can't stop me.

Brass Monkey Rally '11 was a pretty sweet shindig. Apart from a slight mishap where my brother crashed his bike on the way up (hes ok though), it went off without a hitch. Well, there were a few hitches. We screwed up a few of the covers we hadn't learnt properly, but we were better than some bands I've seen. Not all bands, but some.
Twas a mild night as well, which definitely helped as usually theres snow/frost on the ground at the Rally so we were very lucky as it barely went past 0 degrees the whole night. Tropical.
And it was the very first gig I've ever played where I didn't put more makeup on. Amazing. Well, I figured since the general crowd looked a little like this:

I didn't really need to get dolled up in my usual fashion to fit in.
When we were setting up, we were getting a few odd look from the crowd standing around the massive bonfire. As Ian (sound-man-extraordinaire), put it,we were made up of a short guy, a cripple, a girl, and 'I don't even know whats going on with you'-guy. So of course the ol' bikers would be feeling a little bit of trepidation when I lugged my kick drum onto the stage (back-of-truck).

Nevertheless, we played an intense 5 and a half hours (with substantial breaks for Drew to rest his leg), to a very appreciative crowd. Money was thrown at us to play longer and longer, and I couldn't walk on my kick-drum foot for about a week afterwards.
Now that's a good gig.
So this wasn't really much of a ramble, but I promise I'll do better next time.
Here some pics of Brass Monkey Rally 2011 :)

Mean Massive Bonfire, this pic doesn't really do it justice as those flames were the size of a two storey house

Stage + Random guy

Josh and Fender

Peter the Bass-Man

Drew + Drunken Crowd (this may have been during Stairway To Heaven)

Crowd

Stairway

1 comment:

  1. This looks SO fun! And I love your band member descriptions haha

    ReplyDelete