Monday 23 May 2011

LETS ALL GET NAKED!!!

Now that I have your attention...

This blog is going to be about many things you probably didn't know about me. And a little bit about Honeybone. But mostly me, because I like to talk about myself. Most girls do, apparantly.

The title of this blog wasn't entirely random. I have joined a burlesque troupe. Well when I say joined, I joined one then some bitchiness happened, then the group split, then we formed another one from the ashes. We are Foxy Rockettes Burlesque.

Aren't we a sight! Theres seven of us though, not 6.
You may be thinking to yourself... Rachel? Burlesque? Being Girly? YES people, although I am a girl who plays drums, I also like to be girly and dance in a sexy manner. It's quite fun, and the feathers from my Happy Coin boa decorate the floor of my flat so beautifully. I even have a burlesquey name. 'Raq-hell Rouge'. Pretty cool I'd say.
We have a show on Friday, ya'll should totally come it's gonna be totally amazing. That's TOTES AMAZE for all you young hipsters.

I'm even doing a solo routine. I KNOW! Talk about throwing myself in the deep end. I didn't know the first thing about burlesque when I started this but I bought a couple of books and watched some vids and the other girls have been totally awesome. I'm going to dance to 'The Spy' by the Doors. I don't particularly like the Doors very much (I read a biography about Jim Morrison and couldn't even finish it because he was such an asshole), but the song is good. It's a cool song, look it up.

Apart from myself, we've got Billy Rocka, Feather Tornado, Senorita Pussa, Sailor Vie (hope I spelt that right), and Blossom. Theres another girl but I don't know her burlesque name. Her real name is Natalie, and she is cool. She has sparkly shoes and I want to steal them.
The Show also includes acoustic duo 'Girl On Girl Action' and MC Hannah Port. Entry is $5, and it's at Theatre As Is next to Chipmunks at 7.30pm on Friday 27th May.

BRING IT ON
This is the facial expression I imagine whilst typing the above
I am somewhat of a performance whore this week. I don't usually tell people this, but I'm in another band.

WHAAAAT!?
It's ok though, it's not my band, and I don't often play drums for it. Mostly I sing (haha). It is a corporate covers band that do show-acts. What are show-acts I hear you ask? Basically, we dress up as famous bands/singers and imitate them for money. Talk about musical prostitution. It's become somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine, as I do Blondie, and it's fun to stagger about on stage acting drunk (sometimes the acting isn't even needed). I'm also Freida from ABBA, and that's fun too, because a Swedish accent always makes me giggle.

So this Wednesday we have the annual Mayoral Concert at the Dunedin Town Hall. Don't come if you're under 60. I get to play drums for this one because our lucky drummer had to work. Dick. Playing drums is much more work than singing. You actually have to set stuff up and carry stuff.... I'm just too lazy for that sort of thing. The gig goes from 1.30-3pm and the average age of the audience is usually around 70, so we just do oldish stuff, like 'Pack Up Your Troubles'. Janine (other singer chick who is miles ahead of me in terms of talent) and I are dressing up as 2/3s of the Andrew Sisters and singing Bugle Boy. Which is awesome cause that song rocks.

AAAANNNDD THEEEEN

And then you can give us our food, because we're ready to eat!
On Saturday Honeybone is in the OUSA Battle Of The Bands finals. I told you I was a performance whore. It's gonna be really awesome, because both Kitten Surprise and Not For You! Got into the finals as well! So come along to that if you want to support some sweet Dunedin Sounds, plus it's only a dollar to get in. Well technically it's gold coin entry, but who pays $2 when $1 will suffice? Honestly, they must be kidding themselves if they think someone belonging to the 'poor student' group would give up a dollar like that. Ok, we're getting off topic. Where was I?

Oh yes.
Battle of the Bands finals Saturday 28th May!!
Burlesque Show 27th May!

That girl in the poster is pretty hot, her name is Bettie.
Kels (my twin sister) designed this. She can design anything!
Come to both of these. Don't come to Mayoral concert unless you want to hear Dave Cull singing 'Pack Up Your Troubles'. Which could be interesting! Anyway thats $5. But I'm giving you a choice with that one. The first two are COMPULSORY.

Unless you have a note from your mother.


2 comments:

  1. aww might have to get a note from mum to get out of botb.. she definitely won't let me off burlesque though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, you mentioned us! What Abba/ Blondie songs do you sing?

    ReplyDelete